YWCA Southeast Wisconsin’s goal for Election Day 2020 was to increase voter registration awareness through partnering with local and statewide voting initiatives. We mobilized our staff and collaborated with other organizations to educate and remind the community the power in voting.
Organizational and Educational Activities
- YWCA Southeast Wisconsin made Election Day an official organization-wide observance for staff to exercise their rights to vote and participate in civic engagement/volunteering. The building was closed on November 3, 2020.
- We collaborated with local organization Souls to the Polls to host a live community discussion on Facebook that focused on voter engagement on September 17, 2020. Watch the full discussion with Q&A here.
- YWCA Southeast Wisconsin worked with Wisconsin Conservation Voices to train staff on how to get people registered to vote. YWCA SEW also partnered with Wisconsin Conservation Voices to encourage voter registration as part of their regional coalition. Read here about the Voice the Vote Press Conference held at 10 a.m. on September 22 at Walnut Way in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- We also hosted a drive-up voter registration drive with Souls to the Polls in conjunction with a Food Giveaway that was organized by HeartLove Place on September 24, 2020.
- On the first day of In-Person Absentee Voting, YWCA Southeast Wisconsin’s staff (and families) ventured to the polls to cast their ballots. Watch highlights from their journey here.
- Ongoing messages about voting, deadlines and polling locations were shared on social media from the League of Women Voters and other organizations.