POSITION TITLE: President and CEO
REPORTS TO: Board Chair (on behalf of the Board of Directors)
PREPARED AND APPROVED BY: YWCA SEW Board of Directors
A pillar in the communities we serve, stands up for social and racial justice, helps families, and strengthens communities. We have been serving women and families for generations and, every day, challenge our community to commit itself to peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all of our neighbors. Throughout our history, we have championed many social movements important to our community then and now, including civil rights, affordable housing, healthcare, racial justice, and pay equity. Our span reaches from the city of Milwaukee to Racine, being very deliberate to uphold our mission.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The President / CEO establishes a vision for the YWCA achieved by providing leadership and advocacy focused on a thriving Southeast Wisconsin (“SEW”). The President / CEO possesses a high level of business acumen and leadership skills and effectively generates resources and financial support.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES | ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
The President / CEO is responsible for the overall impact of the YWCA’s work to increase visibility, advocacy, and drive the mission in the SEW community. Expected to develop relationships and partnerships with leaders in the community, including those representing the highest levels in the business, government, and nonprofit sectors. Forms and maintains effective working relationships and communication with the YWCA USA, YWCA’s Great Lakes network, and Wisconsin based YWCA associations. Serves as agency’s key spokesperson, actively and strategically promoting the organizations mission with external audiences for the primary purpose of advocating for and securing resources that move the agency’s vision forward.
Fund Raising & Revenue Development
The President / CEO is charged to drive key results in fund development by identifying, cultivating, and soliciting current and prospective donors. Collaborate with the Chief Development Officer and Board of Directors to secure philanthropic and related revenue, including direct responsibility for specific donor portfolios. Works closely with the CFO and the senior leaders to develop clear business goals that drive revenue to meet long-term fiscal needs.
Strategic Leadership & Board Partnership
The President / CEO serves as the principal point of contact to the Board of Directors, collaboratively engaging the senior leaders. Stays abreast of environmental factors that impact the nonprofit and social services sectors and is agile when needed. Leads the team to craft organizational goals and develop, monitor, and evaluate program strategies that identify revenue and that are sustainable.
Organizational Design & Culture
The President / CEO is accountable for building and leading high-performing teams by developing senior leaders through coaching and providing critical feedback while supporting professional development opportunities. Responsible for assessing and implementing strategies and identifying gaps and opportunities within the organization. Accountable for implementing a consistent annual talent review process in partnership with the Chief Human Resources Officer. Responsible for building and maintaining a sustainable operating model and works closely with the Chief Financial Officer to manage spending, monitor the budget, and mitigate financial risks.
EXPERIENCE | POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
Extensive senior strategic and business leadership experience in organizations of comparable size and mission.
- Experience in building revenue, managing P&Ls, creating sustainable operating models and increasing philanthropic support.
- A proven track record of promoting diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging with an ability to build collaboration with the team and community at large.
- Demonstrated expertise at developing partnerships, building teams, and conflict management.
- Must demonstrate a high level of emotional intelligence, intellectual curiosity, agility and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
- Must demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills.
- 8 to 10 years of experience in or across multiple sectors, including nonprofit, public, and corporate environments.
- 8 to 10 years of being a thought leader in a Senior Strategic Leadership role.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office suite and similar software tools; able to prepare routine reports, correspondence, and presentations.
Must possess unquestioned integrity; a long-term perspective; a strong sense of accountability; a practical ability to get things done; wisdom and good judgment; a fair and thoughtful approach to leadership, combined with flexibility, vulnerability, resilience, and courage.
Undergraduate degree preferred. Training, work experience, or advanced degree in business, public administration, or nonprofit leadership desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Frequently required to sit for long periods of time in front of computer screen
- Frequently required to talk and hear
- Frequently required to walk
- Occasionally required to drive and fly
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job:
- Frequently fast paced, can be highly stressful
- Noise level varies from low to high depending on the site-office or event venue
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions
HOW TO APPLY:
This position offers competitive salary and benefits. Relocation assistance is negotiable.
YWCA Southeast Wisconsin is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or identity, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria.
Please send cover letter, resume and salary expectations to: CV@ywcasew.org